Thursday, August 28, 2008

Railway Journey.................

Best way to travel in Taiwan is going by the train. I had never ride in a train in my life, so I had my imagination of what train ride is like. Excitement and fear are both in the bag. To talk about fear, it would be whether or not it was going to be dirty. Now I can tell you there is NO NEED TO FEAR, not only was it clean, you would be traveling in total comfort. I have proof........(evidents below). Traveling by train is an experience on its owned, I'm not sure if you will be able to feel this kind of experience even if you take train ride in other country. One of the must tried feature while traveling by train in Taiwan is buying a lunch box. You can buy it when the train stop at the station or on the platform while you are waiting for the train. A ladies will carry the lunch box onto the train or sell it at the waiting platform. This practice had being around for a very long time. The most important thing is the food are not bad. The final and one of the most important reason for taking the train is the scenery. Along the east coast the scenery is mile and mile of ocean view. Provided you don't fall asleep the view is great.



This is why I'm always the one holding the camera. This look like they are as comfortable as they are sleeping in their owned bed.


Because we travel by train around the Island, so at some point we had to do crazy stuff. Here I leave it to our very own Low Lay Phon. I shouted at her for jumping in while I was taking the picture, but looking through all the shot I had taken, this picture come out the best.


This is train station Chencheng. There is so many reason why we decided to come to this place. I'm not sure how famous this place is to the westerner but in Taiwan is very famous. This station run on one of the last three old railway track in Taiwan. The track had being around since the Japanese occupation. This place is well known for it wood work. I stumbler on this place through a television show introducing a restaurant. (I will talk about the restaurant next). The more I search for info on these place, the more I was fascinated with the history and scenery of it. If you have time it is a must to stop by maybe just for half day. another fun thing to do there is the DIY wood work factory, after that you can bring back the work as souvenir. Here is the website you can check out for activity to do in Chencheng http://www.grove.com.tw/.


This is the one of the reason why you must go to Chencheng. The food is not bad but the fun thing is after you finish with the food you can take home the bucket. (Yoke Teng grab the bucket) Here is the website for the restaurant http://www.cedarteahouse.com/. There is not a lot of surprise about the restaurant, it is just a chick modern cafe. The bucket lunch set was the main attraction for me to go to Chencheng but when I reach there I found a new uniqueness about the place. Here you have a place which is still very much a old traditional town with very little development, yet right in the center of the attraction is this new modern trend restaurant. It give the feel of a old and new era combine together.


Traveling is about the whole experience of the journey, it is not only about visiting a particular place but also the journey it take to reach the place. The journey on the train is as much an exciting experience as visiting the different place in Taiwan. Backpack traveling can sometime be tiring. Take time to stop by in Chencheng for lunch is a great way relax and breath in fresh air.

No comments: